Naturopathic Physicians in British Columbia:
- Have prescribing authority
- Are licensed to perform minor surgery
- Are trained in medical assessment and diagnosis
- Treat most health care concerns – both acute and chronic
- Have similar legal responsibilities as conventional medical doctor
- Complete a pre-medical bachelor’s degree followed by four years of naturopathic medical education
Naturopathic doctors can choose from a range of modalities (treatments) to help support the body’s ability to heal.
In BC they are also authorized to prescribe drugs (with the appropriate certification) and perform minor surgeries that do not involve the use of anesthesia or respiratory assistance.