I love starting my day with a bowl of blueberries, coconut yogurt, and this Nuts & Seeds Granola. Nuts and seeds are nutritional powerhouses packed with protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Our bodies function optimally when dietary omega-3 & omega-6 fats are consumed in equal amounts. Unfortunately, a typical North American diet featuring processed and refined foods is rich in omega-6 fats and lacks adequate omega-3 fats. Walnuts are a star ingredient in this recipe due to a high alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) content. ALA is an omega-3 fatty acid and precursor to other omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA, which have been shown to benefit brain function and soothe inflammation. Try switching your breakfast muffin or bowl of cereal to this homemade granola for the perfect start to rebalancing your omega ratio!
Recipe adapted from The Real Meal Revolution
- 1 C walnuts½ C almonds
- ½ C hazelnuts
- ½ C pecans½ C cashews
- ½ C sunflower seeds
- ½ C pumpkin seeds
- ⅓ C coconut oil (*raw virgin coconut oil was used)
- 5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
*note: all nuts and seeds should be whole, raw, unsalted
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Roughly chop nuts. Mix together in a large bowl with sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Melt coconut oil in a large frying pan over low-medium heat. Stir in spices.
- Add nuts and seeds to pan; mix until evenly coated with oil.
- Remove from heat and spread mixture evenly over 2 parchment-lined baking trays.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Consume within 3 weeks