With the leaves beginning to fall and the air becoming crisper, it is a perfect time to make warming soups, stews and chilies. This recipe is a winter staple in our house. It is a filling, hearty and delicious recipe that is sure to please everyone’s taste buds. It is perfect by itself or served with warm bread and butter. Happy Cooking!
In addition to being the perfect fall comfort food, the ingredients in this chili recipe have several health benefits:
Garlic – combats the common cold
Onions – high in vitamin C to boost the immune system
Tomatoes – high in Vitamins C and K, and reduce the risk of heart disease
Beans – high in fibre and help to control blood sugar
Chili powder – high in vitamin C and improves circulation
Cumin – supports the immune system and helps with digestion
Basil – high in antioxidants
Oregano – high in calcium and fibre
- 2 lbs ground organic bison or beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- One 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- One 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- One 15 oz can tomato sauce
- One 14 oz can black beans, drained
- One 14 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Sauté onions, garlic and bison/beef in a saucepan over medium heat. Once meat is no longer pink, add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker and mix.
- Cover and cook on low for 8–10 hours.
Recipe modified from Dr. Josh Axe: https://draxe.com/recipe/slow-cooker-bison-chili-recipe/