Let food be thy medicine and let medicine be thy food ” – Hippocrates
Summertime means that farmers market season is in full swing, and there are so many fresh herbs at our fingertips. This green goodness is what inspired me to create this recipe last summer. Since then, it has been re-created many times and has now become a summer staple in my kitchen. Filled with herbs that combat inflammation, support the immune system, cleanse the blood, soothe the digestive tract, and enhance skin health, this recipe is one your body will thank you for. You’ll also notice some healthy fats to support cellular and hormone health and some spice to boost metabolism.
Enjoy as a snack or pair with a protein of your choice (salmon would be great with this!) for a quick dinner or lunch.
1 package of gluten-free, vegan gnocchi (Anna’s Country Kitchen is one option available at most specialty grocery stores)
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon
- Red chili flakes (as much as your spicy heart desires)
- 1 bunch of mint
- 1 bunch of dill
- 1 bunch of basil
- 1 bunch of curly par sley -Avocado oil or an oil of your choice (suitable to sauté with*)
- Extra virgin olive oil (to drizzle on after cooking)
- Sauté garlic and red chili flakes in oil while gnocchi is cooking
- Once cooked, strain gnoochi, add to the pan of garlic and chillies & mix well
- Chop up herbs and gently mix together in a bowl using your hands
- Add gnocchi to herbs and drizzle with lemon and good quality olive oil
*If you are unsure about which oils to cook or bake with, speak with your naturopathic doctor about this during your next visit. He/she can review what you are using and offer suggestions to further optimize your health.