This salad is DELICIOUS! Not only is it healthy and hearty, but it is easy to make and can be made in a hurry.
- 1 bunch kale, very thinly sliced
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa (or wild rice), cooked
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 60-80 g goats cheese, crumbled (omit for a dairy free salad)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or cracked black pepper)
- Place all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar with a lid. Screw on the lid then shake well to mix.
- Place the sliced kale in a bowl, and add the lemon juice.
- Massage the kale until it starts to darken and soften.
- Add the remaining salad ingredients (except the goat’s cheese) and toss with about half of the dressing.
- Toss to combine then sprinkle the goat’s cheese on top.
- Enjoy! Salad will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.
My favourite ingredients in this recipe are:
Kale: high in folate and magnesium and a wonderful source of fiber
Garlic: helps to lower cholesterol, regulates blood pressure and blood sugar levels
Chickpeas: great source of protein, high in antioxidants, B vitamins, iron, zinc and magnesium
Almonds: rich in vitamin E, copper and magnesium
Goat’s cheese: good source of protein and who doesn’t love cheese?
Recipe adapted from meaningfuleats.com