Carrot cake topped with cream cheese icing is a holiday for most taste buds. Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is a nutrient the body converts to vitamin A. Vitamin A promotes healthy vision and is important for proper immune function. Walnuts are another carrot cake staple and serve as a source of healthy omega-3 fats. They are especially rich in a powerful antioxidant known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Although standard carrot cake is not a friend of your waistline, this raw, gluten-free, and vegan recipe lets you enjoy a classic treat and simultaneously nourish your body.
- 1.5 C shredded carrot
- 3/4 C rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 1/2 C walnuts, chopped
- 14 dates
- 1/2 C desiccated shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 C cream cheese (vegan)
- 2 tbsp oat milk (or other dairy-free milk alternatives)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend rolled oats and coconut in a food processor to a powder-like consistency
- Add remaining bar ingredients to a food processor. Blend until evenly combined.
- Pour batter into a parchment-lined loaf pan (8.5×4.5in).
- Place in freezer for 10 minutes, or until firm.
- Combine frosting ingredients in a small bowl. Blend with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Remove bars from loaf pan and cut into squares.
- Top with frosting and sprinkle with ground cinnamon (optional).
- ENJOY! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Yield: 8 squares